Vocabulary Quiz #7: Commonly Confused Words
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
1. They didn’t realize that they were in __________ danger.
2. He __________ an example to illustrate his point.
3. Albany is the __________ of New York.
4. Her __________ manner was appealing at first, but her eagerness to help soon became annoying.
5. I am __________ to delegate that responsibility to him.
Answers and Explanations
1. They didn’t realize that they were in imminent danger.
Eminent means “well known and respected”; imminent means “happening very soon.”
2. He cited an example to illustrate his point.
To site is to locate or situate; to cite is to give an example or source.
3. Albany is the capital of New York.
A capitol is a building or building complex in which legislators meet (the term is often capitalized to specify a particular building); a capital is a seat of government.
4. Her complaisant manner was appealing at first, but her eagerness to help soon became annoying.
Complaisant means “willing to please”; complacent means “self-satisfied, smug.”
5. I am loath to delegate that responsibility to him.
To loathe is to hate; loath means “reluctant” or “unwilling.”
Want to improve your English in 5 minutes a day? Click here to subscribe and start receiving our writing tips and exercises via email every day.
Recommended Articles for You
Subscribe to Receive our Articles and Exercises via Email
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!