Vocabulary Quiz #7: Commonly Confused Words
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
1. They didn’t realize that they were in __________ danger.
2. He __________ an example to illustrate his point.
3. Albany is the __________ of New York.
4. Her __________ manner was appealing at first, but her eagerness to help soon became annoying.
5. I am __________ to delegate that responsibility to him.
Answers and Explanations
1. They didn’t realize that they were in imminent danger.
Eminent means “well known and respected”; imminent means “happening very soon.”
2. He cited an example to illustrate his point.
To site is to locate or situate; to cite is to give an example or source.
3. Albany is the capital of New York.
A capitol is a building or building complex in which legislators meet (the term is often capitalized to specify a particular building); a capital is a seat of government.
4. Her complaisant manner was appealing at first, but her eagerness to help soon became annoying.
Complaisant means “willing to please”; complacent means “self-satisfied, smug.”
5. I am loath to delegate that responsibility to him.
To loathe is to hate; loath means “reluctant” or “unwilling.”
Subscribe and Get a Free eBook: 100 Writing Mistakes to Avoid
- The subscription is completely free, and we only send out one email per week, on Tuesdays
- Our emails are fun and educating and will help you improve your writing skills
- You can unsubscribe anytime you want and keep the e-book as a gift