Vocabulary Quiz #2: Confused Words
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
1. He runs the _________ from slapstick comedian to arch satirist.
2. We went to see her perform in a musical _______.
3. To what _______ are you willing to go to prevent that from happening?
4. The major ________ of the religion are listed below.
5. The place has a certain _______ to it.
Answers and Explanations
1. He runs the gamut from slapstick comedian to arch satirist.
Gamut means “an entire range or series,” and a gauntlet is a protective glove, a trial or ordeal, or, in idiomatic use, a literal or figurative challenge to another to engage in combat.
2. We went to see her perform in a musical revue.
A revue is a performance of loosely related songs, dances, and skits; a review is an analysis, critique, summary, or survey (though the word is sometimes used interchangeably with revue).
3. To what extent are you willing to go to prevent that from happening?
Extent means “magnitude,” “range,” or “scope,” while extant means “existing.”
4. The major tenets of the religion are listed below.
A tenet is a belief, doctrine, or principle, generally one shared by a group of people; a tenant is a person who rents property from another.
5. The place has a certain cachet to it.
Cachet refers to prestige or a feature or quality associated with prestige (as well as other meanings); a cache is a location for hiding or storing something, or a short-term computer memory. (The words are pronounced “cashay” and “cash,” respectively.)
Want to improve your English in five minutes a day? Get a subscription and start receiving our writing tips and exercises daily!
Keep learning! Browse the Writing Quizzes category, check our popular posts, or choose a related post below:
Stop making those embarrassing mistakes! Subscribe to Daily Writing Tips today!
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!