Most Popular Articles April 2008
Below you will find the most popular articles of the past month. Check them out to make sure you have not missed any.
- English to Become the Official and Obligatory Language of the Internet: The Central Authority for Internet Control (CAIC) announced today that they plan to make English the official and obligatory language of the Internet, and that by 2010 all the web pages should already be using English exclusively.
- Let’s Keep Some of the Old Verb Forms: When it comes to some irregular verbs, I really hate to see the old past participle forms “regularized” to the dominant “-ed” ending.
- How and Where to Publish Your Short Stories: One reader asks: “What advice would you give to someone who has bags of passion and loves life and just happens to have lots of stories and would like to know how to publish or where to publish?”
- That vs. Which: Before I come on to the “that”/”which” rule, just a reminder that “who” should always be used when referring to people.
- Five Words You Can Cut: One of the best ways to make your writing stronger is to cut unnecessary words. Many people tend to over-write, often in a similar way to how they would speak. Words creep in that add no meaning and can make a piece of writing sound vague and woolly rather than confidence and precise.
- Funny Images Conjured up by Web Comments: Sometimes I’m more amused than annoyed by spelling errors and incorrect word choices that I see in blogs and comments.
- Keeping a Writers’ Notebook: If you’ve ever had aspirations towards fiction-writing, you’ve doubtlessly heard the advice to keep a notebook on you at all times, to jot down those elusive flashes of brilliance that come at the most inopportune moments.
Browse all articles on the General category or check the recommended content for you below:
Improve your English in 5 minutes a day! Subscribe to our Writing Tips and Exercises via Email
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!