Misspelled Numbers, Months, and Days
Yes, these are elementary spelling words, but cruise the web and you will see them misspelled all over the place.
- forty the error is to try to make it match four
- ninety the mistake is leaving out the e
- February the error is in omitting the first r
- Wednesday the error is in omitting the first d
NOTE: This peculiar spelling incorporates an old noun possessive. The day of the week was named for the god Woden. Before English started using apostrophe s to indicate the possessive of a noun, it used a genitive ending –es. Wednesday is literally Woden’s Day. Somewhere along the way the o in Woden became an e.
Speaking of days and months, another frequently misspelled word in this category is calendar. The error is writing er for ar.
Want to improve your English in 5 minutes a day? Click here to subscribe and start receiving our writing tips and exercises via email every day.
Recommended Articles for You
Subscribe to Receive our Articles and Exercises via Email
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!