20 Synonyms for “Shortage”
There’s no shortage of synonyms for shortage, and though many of the terms are close in meaning, the variety of connotations is sufficient to merit this list.
1. Crunch: a sudden shortage (informal)
2. Dearth: a shortage, especially one with dire and severe effects, such as one of food
3. Deficiency: a shortage, including one of nutritional substances such as vitamins
4-5. Drought (or drouth): a shortage of precipitation, especially one that damages or stunts crops, or a shortage of something customarily available
6. Failure: a lack of success, as in business or a competition, or an instance of coming up short
7. Famine: a significant shortage, especially of food
8-9. Inadequacy (or inadequateness): a case or quality of not having enough
10. Insufficiency: the quality of not having enough capacity or supply, or of being incompetent
11. Lack: a shortage or an instance of something missing or not available in the necessary amount
12. Lacuna: a shortage or gap
13. Paucity: a shortage of number or quantity
14. Pinch: a sudden shortage (informal); also, an emergency, or an instance of pressure or privation
15. Poverty: a shortage, especially of money or material goods, or such a state deliberately entered into (as by a monk who renounces ownership of worldly goods)
16. Scantiness: a shortage of what is expected or needed
17-18. Scarceness (or scarcity): a supply that amounts to less than the demand
19. Undersupply: a quantity that is less than required
20. Want: a shortage or a fault, or of being extreme poor; also, something wanted
Browse all articles on the Vocabulary category or check the recommended content for you below:
Improve your English in 5 minutes a day! Subscribe to our Writing Tips and Exercises via Email
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!