10 Words for Bodily Functions and Actions
No, this list isn’t just for those in the medical profession. Many readers find sesquipedalianism — use of overly complicated words when a simpler synonym is available — irritating, but ostentatious vocabulary has its place in invective, satire, and standard-issue humor, and can enhance general prose, whether through figurative or literal use.
1. Borborygmus: rumbling (“What I thought was the rumbling of a truck was only a bout of borborygmus in my stomach”)
2. Emesis: vomiting (“I turned away in disgust from the vile rhetorical emesis of the racist orator”)
3. Eructation: belching (“The smokestacks engaged in endless eructation”)
4. Ingurgitation: guzzling (“We gazed in disbelief at the rampant ingurgitation occurring among the frat boys arrayed around the keg”)
5. Mastication: chewing (“The students, engrossed in the mental mastication required of the assignment, failed to notice my entrance”)
6. Micturation: urinating (“They’re micturating over all that we honor and respect”)
7. Osculation: kissing (“The odious osculation that takes place between politics and big business will never cease”)
8. Peristalsis: swallowing (“They accepted the lies with peristaltic enthusiasm — hook, line, and sinker”)
9. Sternutation: sneezing (“His incessant explosions of sternutation were unsettling”)
10. Tussis: coughing (“John produced gratuitous tussis to signal his extreme skepticism”)
Want to improve your English in five minutes a day? Get a subscription and start receiving our writing tips and exercises daily!
Keep learning! Browse the Vocabulary category, check our popular posts, or choose a related post below:
- Coordinating vs. Subordinating Conjunctions
- Peace of Mind and A Piece of One's Mind
- Writing a Thank You Note
Stop making those embarrassing mistakes! Subscribe to Daily Writing Tips today!
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!