Grammar Quiz #15: Personal Pronouns
Choose the correct pronoun to fill the blank.
1. Neither Bill nor _______ showed up for the concert.
2. The boys brought _______ girls flowers that they’d picked in the meadow.
3. Just between you and _______ let’s not repeat the rumor that’s going around.
4. Why don’t you give the dollar that you found to _______ ?
5. The Thompsons and _______ both appeared in photos on the society page.
Answers and Explanations
1. Neither Bill nor he showed up for the concert.
He is the subject (nominative case). When a personal pronoun is the second name in the compound subject, a good way to check is to say only the pronoun along with the rest of the sentence. Probably your ears would object to hearing “Him showed up for the concert.”
2. The boys brought us girls flowers that they’d picked in the meadow.
The pronoun us is in apposition to the noun girls. Because girls is an object (indirect object of the verb brought), the pronoun must also take the object form.
3. Just between you and me let’s not repeat the rumor that’s going around.
The pronoun is the object of the preposition between, and me is the object form.
4. Why don’t you give the dollar that you found to her?
The pronoun is the object of the preposition to, and her is the object form.
5. The Thompsons and they both appeared in photos on the society page.
Because the pronoun is part of the subject, it takes the subject form they.
Want to improve your English in 5 minutes a day? Click here to subscribe and start receiving our writing tips and exercises via email every day.
Recommended Articles for You
Subscribe to Receive our Articles and Exercises via Email
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!