Conjunctive Adverbs Exercise (406)
Choose the conjunctive adverb that best fits the context of the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. Owning a yacht and traveling the world in it would be a fabulous way to live; on the other hand the lifestyle would probably be too costly for anyone but a millionaire to maintain.
"On the other hand" introduces an alternative view.
2. The children stopped feeding and walking the dog; consequently, their parents gave the dog away to another family.
"Consequently" introduces a result.
3. You should sign up today for the painting class; otherwise, you won’t to get in.
"Otherwise" equates to "if not."
4. Professional football players are paid millions of dollars; on the other hand, they suffer brain damage and develop monstrous egos.
"On the other hand" introduces an alternative view. The contrast is often between something desirable and something else that is not.
5. That emotionally disturbed child is a menace to the neighbors; furthermore, he’s a danger to himself.
"Furthermore" means "in addition."