Spelling Test Exercise (379)
A word is misspelled in each of the following sentences. Provide the proper spelling for the misspelled word in each one.
Answers and Explanations
1. These two novels by Dostoyevsky–an existentialist before his time– are fascinating for their explorations of the human psyche under extreme conditions.
2. Asthma sufferers find it difficult to breathe because their airways are narrowed by swelling, bronchospasm, and excess mucus.
3. Settlers going west on the Oregon Trail not only ran out of supplies and became desperate for food and water, but many of them were stricken with typhoid, mountain fever dysentery, cholera, influenza, measles, or smallpox.
4. The consensus is that he’s cured clinically, but whether he will have more definite and lasting benefits will depend upon whether there’s any virus left.
5. In 2011, Title 31 of the United States Code, section 3101 set the national debt ceiling at $16.4 trillion; this law does not prohibit Congress from creating further obligations on the government.