Pronouns and Possessive Adjectives Exercise (310)
Choose the correct pronoun or possessive adjective to complete the blanks in the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. Before leaving for college, my brother gave his baseball card collection to Tommy and me.
The phrase "Tommy and me" is the object of a preposition, so the object form me is required.
2. Neither I nor Amir will accept responsibility for the hole in the screen.
The usual order would be "Neither Amir nor I will accept." The pronoun is the subject of "will accept," so the subject form I is required.
3. Each of the girls on the field trip lost her way at least once.
The singular possessive adjective her agrees with the singular pronoun Each. Because the gender is clearly stated, the politically correct conundrum does not arise.
4. At least one of the grammar rules cited in this book has outlived its usefulness.
The singular its agrees in number with one.
5. We women must refuse to be exploited.
The subject form is required because We, together with women, is the subject of the verb.