Spelling Test Exercise (247)
A word is misspelled in each of the following sentences. Provide the proper spelling for the misspelled word in each one.
Answers and Explanations
1. Do you remember the voice-over in the film Rebecca? It begins, "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me."
2. I recalled a story of a white man- a whaleman too- who, falling among the cannibals, had been tattooed by them. I concluded that this harpooneer, in the course of his distant voyages, must have met with a similar adventure.
3. When the successful cloning of a lamb called Dolly was announced in February 2003 by Scottish researchers, it set off a spate of anxious questions. Many of them concerned the ethics of cloning, but another set asked about unforeseen consequences.
4. Despite bouncing up and down between the majors and AAA since 2012, Culberson still only has 147 plate appearances at baseball’s top level. He can play several different positions on the diamond, but unfortunately he doesn’t play any of them particularly well.
5. The Dunning-Kruger effect describes the tendency for some people to substantially overestimate their abilities.