Word Choice Exercise (242)
Choose the word or words that best complete the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. Anita met Charlie in the store purely by accident.
"On accident" is nonstandard English for "by accident."
2. Students at Lexington High are excited about the senior prom.
"Excited for" is nonstandard English for "excited about."
3. Forgetting his portfolio didn’t matter because he was too late for the interview anyway.
Anyways is nonstandard English for anyway.
4. I should have remembered to cover the tomato plants last night.
In speech, the words "should have" are usually run together as "should’ve." Writing of for have is a common error to be avoided.
5. If you don’t start getting to work on time, you are going to fall by the wayside.
"Waste side" is a an error when used in the expression meaning "to be left behind."