Subject-Verb Agreement Exercise (218)
Choose the verb form that agrees with the subject in the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. Some of the children appear to be reluctant to learn.
The subject "some" is plural because the plural "children" makes it a countable indefinite pronoun.
2. Three-quarters of the membership is against incorporation.
The subject "Three-quarters" represents a singular entity, so the verb is singular.
3. The winter storms plaguing the South this year are extremely unusual.
The subject "storms" is plural, so the verb must be plural.
4. The mayor of Fayetteville, together with his assistants, is touring the chicken plant today.
The subject "Mayor" is singular; the intervening phrase does not alter the fact. The same is true of phrases like "along with" and "as well as."
5. As you prepare for your move, remember there are things to be done about the utilities.
"There are" precedes the plural subject "things."