Pronoun-Verb Agreement Exercise (194)
Choose the verb that agrees with the pronoun that belongs to it in the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. A small percentage of the shipment was spoiled by the flooding.
The singular subject is percentage.
2. Outside the historic court house were three tourist buses.
The plural subject is buses.
3. Anti-vaccination parents seem to be unaware that mumps is still a danger to their children.
Although it ends in "s," mumps is singular and takes a singular verb.
4. We thought we heard voices, but when we entered, nobody was there.
Singular nobody is the subject of was.
5. General Motors was founded in 1908.
In American usage, a company name takes a singular verb.