Pronouns Exercise (151)
Choose the personal pronoun or possessive adjective that best fits the blanks in the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. This is a matter for you and me to decide.
Me is the object of the preposition for. It is also the syntactic subject of the infinitive to decide. The object form me is necessary for both uses.
2. The new mayor doesn’t seem to care about us residents.
Us is the object of the preposition about. We is a subject form.
3. Either the bathroom or the kitchen should have its ceiling painted.
With an either/or construction, the verb will agree with the nearer subject noun., which in this sentence is kitchen.
4. When I won the lottery, my first impulse was to share it, but then I decided to keep the money for myself.
When the person a subject pronoun refers to is used again as an object, it will be a "self" form. For example, "I cut myself, You hurt yourself, He hurt himself, We hurt ourselves," and so on.
5. When the principal announced the unexpected holiday, the crowd of students in the auditorium roared its approval.
Although a crowd is made up of many individual, as a single entity, crowd requires a singular possessive adjective.