Synonyms Exercise (147)
Each of the following quotations from Marian Evans contains a word in boldface type. Choose the word that is its closest synonym.
Answers and Explanations
1. ... we are most of us brought up in the notion that the highest motive for not doing a wrong is something irrespective of the beings who would suffer the wrong.
Desirous means wishful or hopeful.
2. ... blameless people are always the most exasperating!
Circumspect means discreet.
3. ... to most mortals there is a stupidity which is unendurable and a stupidity which is altogether acceptable—else, indeed, what would become of social bonds?
Freedom implies lack of bonds or ties.
4. The desire to conquer is itself a sort of subjection.
Elation is extreme happiness.
5. ... in no part of the world is genteel visiting founded on esteem, in the absence of suitable furniture and complete dinner-service.
Disdain is contempt.