Spelling Test Exercise (139)
A word is misspelled in each of the following sentences. Provide the proper spelling for the misspelled word in each one.
Answers and Explanations
1. Hordes of suitors besiege Penelope for 20 years, devouring her possessions, but unaware that she is tricking them in order to avoid marriage with any of them.
2. When Odysseus returns disguised as a beggar, the only creature that recognizes him is his dog Argos; the faithful animal greets his beloved master by thumping his tail on the ground, and then, after his long wait, closes his eyes forever.
3. Incurring the wrath of Poseidon by failing to give him sufficient credit after the Greek victory over Troy, Odysseus makes matters worse by blinding the sea god’s son Polyphemus.
4. In the guise of an elderly man named Mentor, Athena guides Telemachus in his desperate search to discover the whereabouts of his father.
5. Unlike Achilles, who boasts about his military prowess and sulks when he feels unappreciated, Odysseus keeps his feelings to himself; he gains his ends by means of craft and clever maneuvers that work to his advantage.