40 Twitter Hashtags for Writers

If you use Twitter, you’re probably already familiar with the idea of hashtags. These are simply a way of categorizing particular tweets by including within them a keyword prefixed with the hash or “pound” (#) symbol. So, for example, tweets containing writing advice will often contain the “#writetip” tag. The point of this is to make it easier to find all tweets containing writing advice : you just search for “#writetip”. Similarly, you could find a stream of publication tips by keeping an eye on tweets with “#pubtip” in them.

Using relevant hashtags in your own tweets also increases the likelihood of others seeing your post and becoming a follower. They’re a great way to engage with a particular community of Twitter users.

The following is a list of some of the hashtags that will be of interest to writers. The list can never be exhaustive because anyone can invent a new tag at any time. Most are self-explanatory, although some need explanation :

#amediting  posts from people who are editing
#amwriting  posts from people who are writing
#askagent  agent questions and answers
#author
#authors
#editing
#fictionfriday
#fridayflash  flash fiction on a Friday
#nanowrimo  national novel writing month
#novels
#writer
#writers
#writetip  writing advice
#writing
#writingtips  writing advice
#wrotetoday

Some hashtags are specifically “chats” – which means they work in the same way as all tags, but are mainly used at certain agreed times :

#journchat
#kidlitchat
#litchat
#scifichat
#scribechat
#storycraft
#writechat
#yalitchat   young adult literature chat

The following spreadsheet is a good place to keep track of the schedules for these Twitter chats if you’re interested in joining in :

Subscribe to Receive our Articles and Exercises via Email

ebook cover
  • You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
  • Subscribers get access to our exercise archives, writing courses, writing jobs and much more!
  • You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!
Try It Now

31 Responses to “40 Twitter Hashtags for Writers”

1. David Blackstone on June 14, 2010 1:04 am

I have been known to use both #drabble and #flashfic on my twitter (which is @DavidWriting. The website I write for (nameyourtale.com) @nameyourtale uses #100words and #microfiction

2. Simon Kewin on June 14, 2010 4:51 am

David,

Thanks for the additions. I must check out your Twitter feed! The nice thing about #vss, of course, is that it’s relatively short

3. Jeannine on June 14, 2010 10:14 am

Here’s another relevant hashtag: #editmark

4. David Blackstone on June 14, 2010 10:35 am

my only problem with #vss is that it’s fairly non-intuitive. I like #webfic a lot though, may start using that at times.

5. Simon Kewin on June 14, 2010 10:59 am

David,

Fair point – #vss isn’t particularly obvious, I’ll agree!

6. JG Wentworth on June 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks for the information on hashtags. I have only used a very few of these. jgwentworth

7. A.M. Harte on June 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Great list here.

Actually though I’ve actually found more people to use the longer #webfiction than #webfic to avoid any mix-ups with the similar “fanfic” term.

8. Jade Blackwater on June 15, 2010 4:03 pm

You might want to add #poettues to your list of hashtags for writer chats. It’s hosted each Tuesday by @RobertLeeBrewer.

Also, #zinechat is awesome. It doesn’t work on a schedule, but host @JayMGates gives the heads up when one is planned.

Enjoy,
    JLB

9. Simon Kewin on June 16, 2010 3:15 am

Thanks for the additions to the list. It’s a shame, really, that Twitter don’t maintain some sort of official list that people can easily find.

10. Michelle Rafter on June 17, 2010 9:17 pm

I’d love to add another to the list: #blog20XX – the Twitter tag for the annual month-long blogathon I host every May on WordCount, my freelance writing blog. This year more than 110 writers who blog signed up to post every day of the month. The hashtag was #blog2010. Next year’s will be #blog2011.

Thanks,

Michelle Rafter

11. Madison Woods on June 21, 2010 11:58 pm

Please don’t forget #teasertuesday – it’s for writers, too! Post an excerpt from your wip to your blog, tweet it with the hashtag and the rest of us can RT and read the excerpts easily by using the tag in a search :)

12. Ann Collins on July 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Great webpage. I’m new to twitter; had no idea what those #words were. I’m made your list a favorite.

13. Christie Wright Wild on September 21, 2010 11:26 am

Add #pblitchat too! Picture Books Only!

14. Anne Tyler Lord on November 27, 2010 11:00 am

I have another addition – #Writers_Life is for tweets about living the writer’s life – psych, creativity, life, etc.

Thanks for the list – very helpful!

15. Jewel on December 31, 2010 12:40 pm

Oh, I just had to #tweet this post. Every #writer needs to read this. :)

16. Mickey on February 8, 2011 12:38 pm

Here’s one I created for people who aren’t writing for whatever reason — #amNOTwriting.

17. Cliff Feightner on February 9, 2011 4:13 pm

Simon,

Bless your heart; I’ve been looking for this list for a while! If I may, you also might want to add #PostaWeek2011 and #PostaDay2011

Thanks

Cliff

18. beingbrad on March 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Don’t forget, #scriptchat – A weekly (Sundays) hosted screenwriter chat. Topics, special guests, tequila.

For deets check out scriptchat.com

19. Kristie Leigh Maguire on April 26, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks for this list. I’m fairly new to Twitter and still learning.

20. Patricia on June 30, 2011 6:55 am

other relevant tage

For writers
    #WW
    For publishing
    #epublish
    #publishabook

21. Dianna Zaragoza on July 6, 2011 6:40 pm

Has anyone seen the tag #myWANA? What does that one mean? I see a lot of writers there too.

22. Ross Arcemont on July 19, 2011 10:24 pm

I’ve been looking for writers to follow and was pretty sure I was missing all of them somehow. Just what I needed!

23. Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn on July 26, 2011 1:11 am

Dianna,
    #myWANA references a book called We Are Not Alone (WANA) by Kristin Lamb about the world of social networking. So in essence, it’s “my social netwk.”

24. Adrian Domocos on August 11, 2011 10:55 am

Great and useful article for writers!

#shelfster is the hashtag of a new platform for writers.

Shelfster is the easiest way for writers to gather information for a book, article or paper.

Make an account on Shelfster.com and test for free a lot of tools for mobile, web and desktop.

25. Katheryn Lane on August 30, 2011 7:14 am

I use #romance and sometimes #ebook (as that’s what I write) as well as #reading

26. Brenna on September 2, 2011 8:01 pm

Hey! These are great. There is also #wordmongering and #editmongering which are like word sprints. They happen at every :00 and :30 respectively for a half an hour. Anyone can do them at any time, but it’s nice to connect to the other writers who are doing them!

27. Tony McFadden on September 9, 2011 7:07 pm

As a writer my ultimate target audience is actually NOT other writers – it’s readers. Which is why I use the #reader and #reading hashtags. I definitely use the #writing, #Iamwriting #Iamediting to find other writers and have made some wonderful connections, but ultimately it’s the #readers I want to find me and my books.

28. Webbiegrrl Writer on September 13, 2011 9:57 am

Thank you Simon for the list and big thank you Tony McFadden for noting this list is focused on getting writers talking to other writers. I was starting to wonder what the heck was going on there (but only for a minute. I know the scoop.)

I’d also note that the #reading tag is inserted automagically by the massive reader-centric site Goodreads. GR has an auto-tweet feature readers can use to share their progress on a book. The Goodreads site inserts the #reading hashtag (or it used to anyway). It has become a reader-centric “place” to be on Twitter, same as #writing is a way to rub elbows with fellow writers.

29. Ruth – The Freelance Writing Blog on September 13, 2011 5:45 pm

I use #freelancewriting. Not sure how widely it’s used though. Great list!

30. Chris Kelworth on September 22, 2011 8:43 am

This one is kind of community specific, but I’m a big fan of #novelengage – it was suggested by the people at Storywonk, for spending some time every day ‘engaging’ with your writing; new words, editing, even just reading over what you’ve already got if you’re too blocked to do anything else.

31. Chris on October 9, 2011 4:00 pm

There is a new hashtag : the #SundayShoutout, like the #FollowFriday, but the sunday :)

Have something to say?