Word of the Day: Lexicon
Lexicon (lĕk’sĭ-kŏn’) is a dictionary or vocabulary. It contains the words and expressions of a language. It can also refer to the collection of terms used in a particular profession or field (e.g., the lexicon of philosophy).
She winced at his response of such a gratuitous “Wow”: it said little for his seizure of her meaning and even less for his lexicon. (The Well-Tempered Sentence by Karen Elizabeth Gordon)
“You are my darling, my d-a-r-l-i-n-g,” said the spelling master to his rapt and evasive pupil as he opened her eyes to a whole lexicon of shame. (The Well-Tempered Sentence by Karen Elizabeth Gordon)
Quotations suggested by our reader Ben.
Want to improve your English in five minutes a day? Get a subscription and start receiving our writing tips and exercises daily!
Keep learning! Browse the Word of the Day category, check our popular posts, or choose a related post below:
- How to Punctuate References to Dates and Times
- Story Writing 101
- 10 Tips to Improve Your Writing Skills
Stop making those embarrassing mistakes! Subscribe to Daily Writing Tips today!
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our archives with 800+ interactive exercises!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!