Word of the Day: Browbeat
Browbeat means to intimidate or subjugate by the use of verbal harassment or force. A synonym to browbeat is to bully.
If we follow the usual script, this means it’s time for upset listeners and viewers to rally to the cause, as they have in the past, and browbeat Congress into restoring the budget. (NY Times)
European consumers are entitled to fear genetic modification in their own backyards, even if proper scientific debate is often drowned out by agitprop and railing against multinational corporations. But they have no right to browbeat the developing world into following their lead. (The Economist)
Subscribe to Daily Writing Tips and get a free eBook!
- Our weekly newsletter is free (one email per week, on Tuesdays)
- You will improve your English, guaranteed.
- Get our "100 Writing Mistakes to Avoid" eBook free.
Keep learning! Browse the Word of the Day category, check our popular posts, or choose a related post below:
- Is She a "Lady" or a "Woman"?
- Five Spelling Rules for "Silent Final E"
- 50+ Words That Describe Animals (Including Humans)