Confused Words Exercise (93)
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
Answers and Explanations
1. They didn’t realize that they were in imminent danger.
Eminent means "well known and respected"; imminent means "happening very soon."
2. He cited an example to illustrate his point.
To site is to locate or situate; to cite is to give an example or source.
3. Albany is the capital of New York.
A capitol is a building or building complex in which legislators meet (the term is often capitalized to specify a particular building); a capital is a seat of government.
4. Her complaisant manner was appealing at first, but her eagerness to help soon became annoying.
Complaisant means "willing to please"; complacent means "self-satisfied, smug."
5. I am loath to delegate that responsibility to him.
To loathe is to hate; loath means "reluctant" or "unwilling."