Confused Words Exercise (87)
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
Answers and Explanations
1. Do you mean to imply that I stole your cell phone?
"To imply" means suggest, while "to infer" means to draw a conclusion by reasoning.
2. The students are uninterested in learning algebra.
The word "uninterested" indicates simple lack of interest, while "disinterested" connotes a lack of self-interest in a matter to be decided.
3. The state capitol is a miniature of the one in Washington D.C.
A capitol is a building that serves as a center of government; a capital is the chief city in a country or a state.
4. Between the years 1845 and 1855, nearly a million people emigrated from Germany to the United States.
"To emigrate" is to leave a country with the intention of settling in another. "To immigrate" is to pass into a new country of residence.
5. The agents used torture to elicit information from the prisoners.
"Elicit" is to draw out a response. "Illicit" means not lawful.