Parallel Structure Exercise (771)
Revise each sentence to correctly organize the syntactical elements.
Answers and Explanations
1. They had posted publicly on social media sites about their interest in and devotion to radical causes.
Each of the nouns "interest" and "devotion" requires its own preposition.
2. Self-driving cars will be safer, will use less fuel, and will alleviate traffic problems.
Each phrase in this sentence requires its own iteration of "will."
3. For the first time, viewers at home weighed in, with their votes being tallied in addition to those of four in-person celebrity judges.
The subordinate clause must be revised to clarify that it was the votes, not the judges, that were tallied.
4. That led Spanish-language network Univision to pull out of the broadcast for what would have been the first of five years airing the pageants and prompted NBC to cut business ties with Trump.
The verb "led" is too far from the second phrase in this sentence to serve it as well as the first; a corresponding verb is required to allow the final phrase to stand on its own.
5. He is neither professional, accomplished, nor gracious.
"Neither," rather than "not," should be used in conjunction with "nor." (Also, the "neither . . . nor" construction is usually employed to contrast two words or phrases, but it is correct to list more than two.)