Confused Words Exercise (61)
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
Answers and Explanations
1. We loaded the pallet into his truck.
A pallet is a wooden platform that supports cargo, and a palette is a tray for mixing colors or, by extension, a range of colors.
2. He was accompanied by his numerous progeny.
Progeny refers to one or more children or other descendants; a prodigy is an exceptionally talented young person.
3. The journey was exhausting, but the hardy travelers plodded on to their destination.
To be hardy is to be able to endure (or to be audacious or brave); to be hearty is to be strong or energetic. (The meanings are similar, but the context refers to difficult, not vigorous, effort.)
4. I am a proponent of the proposed law.
A proponent is a supporter; a protagonist is the main character in a story or a key figure in an event or cause.
5. VIP members can bypass the queue.
A cue is a signal; a queue is a line.