Spelling Exercise (514)
For each sentence, choose the correct spelling (for American English).
Answers and Explanations
1. I advise you to give up now, before you get into any more trouble.
"Advice" is a noun, and "advise" is a verb.
2. It’s dangerous to prophesy, but let me offer you a prediction.
"Prophecy" is a noun, and "prophesy" is a verb.
3. I have to practice my speech.
"Practice" is the correct spelling for both the noun and the verb; "practise" is British English.
4. We met to devise a plan that would delay their success.
"Device" is a noun, and "devise" is a verb.
5. The company decided to license the product.
"License" is the correct spelling for both the noun and the verb; "licence" is British English.