Subject-Verb Agreement Exercise (405)
Choose the verb that agrees with the subject in each of the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. The eccentric woman with all the cats lives behind us.
The singular subject "woman" takes the singular verb "lives." The word "cats" is the object of the preposition "behind."
2. The game, including all the throws and rethrows, takes about five hours to play.
The singular subject "game" takes the singular verb "takes." The parenthetical phrase does not affect the number of the subject.
3. Is measles still regarded as a serious disease?
"Measles" is a word that ends in s but takes a singular verb. The same rule of agreement applies to the names of other diseases, such as "mumps," "AIDS," and "rabies."
4. The Governor, together with his wife and children, opens the state fair every year.
Parenthetical expressions between subject and verb do not affect number agreement. "Governor" is the subject of "opens." It is singular and takes a singular verb.
5. Twenty-three dollars is the amount you owe me as of today.
Use a singular verb with money that is viewed as an amount.