Spelling Test Exercise (373)
A word is misspelled in each of the following sentences. Provide the proper spelling for the misspelled word in each one.
Answers and Explanations
1. Gisel Ruiz, daughter of immigrant migrant workers, has risen to the influential position of chief operating officer for Walmart USA.
2. Because of the bureaucratic love of surveys and data-gathering, applicants for any variety of jobs or services are asked to complete invasive questionnaires that may or may not be related to the transaction being completed.
3. Because of the enormous reach of the Internet that makes the views of ordinary people known globally, the old hegemony that supported traditional government by exalted personages is being shaken.
4. In the olden days, the proliferation of crime was limited by transportation constraints, but nowadays almost everyone has the power to command rapid, motorized movement.
5. Because Thomas Hobbes believed that primitive life was "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short," he concluded that a strong leader was required to control the rapacious violence inherent to human nature.