Spelling Test Exercise (367)
A word is misspelled in each of the following sentences. Provide the proper spelling for the misspelled word in each one.
Answers and Explanations
1. Nowadays, the field of quantum physics has joined philosophy and religion in speculating about the possibility of existence after death, theorizing that consciousness survives to the dissolution of the human body.
2. Britain was slow to replace Fahrenheit notation with Celsius, but the United States is still wedded to the older way of reading thermometers.
3. After watching the millennial unfold in the Nova program about the Australia’s first four billion years, stressing over current affairs seems a waste of psychic energy.
4. The military cemetery at Arlington, Virginia occupies 624 acres of land that once belonged to the family of Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia.
5. Glossolalia, often understood among Protestant Christians as speaking in tongues, is the fluid vocalizing of speech-like syllables that lack any readily comprehended meaning, in some cases as part of religious practice.