Spelling Test Exercise (355)
A word is misspelled in each of the following sentences. Provide the proper spelling for the misspelled word in each one.
Answers and Explanations
1. Most conscientious objectors request noncombat duties because attempting to kill other people in war is against their religious, moral or ethical convictions.
2. New research indicates that surgery may not be necessary for children with simple cases of appendicitis, which sometimes responds to antibiotics.
3. In their description of South Pole exploration as an Antarctic odyssey, the authors display a passionate admiration for Scott, Amundsen, and Shackleton.
4. Why is it, in an art studio like this, fully equipped with every type of technical convenience, I can never find a pair of scissors within reach at the moment I need to cut something?
5. New citizens take an oath that begins with these words: "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty."