Pronoun Case Exercise (352)
Identify the case of the pronouns in boldface in the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. My girlfriend and I are going to be married in January.
I is part of the compound "My girlfriend and I," which is the subject of the verb "are going."
2. The suspects whom we have been tracking have disappeared.
Whom introduces a subordinate clause; it stands for suspects and is the object of the verb "have been tracking."
3. The butler picked up the receiver and asked, "Who shall I say is calling?"
Who is the subject of is calling. A common error in this construction is to write the first word as whom in the mistaken idea that it is the object of calling.
4. Hitting him repeatedly, the officer managed to gain possession of the weapon.
Him is the object of hitting.
5. You don’t know the meaning of failure.
You is subject of don’t know.