Pronouns Exercise (346)
Choose the pronoun that belongs in the blanks in the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. The cafeteria attendant said she’d give you and me extra cheese just this once.
"Me" is part of the compound object "you and me." Together they are the object of "would give."
2. It’s up to us the citizens to find a way to keep our elected representatives honest.
"Us" is the object of "to."
3. I want to thank you for Marty and me for all your help and support during these dark times.
"Me," along with "Marty," is the object of the preposition "for."
4. It sounds really vulgar and uneducated when you and she talk like that.
The compound construction "you and ---" is the subject of the verb "talk." A pronoun used as a subject must be in the subject form. Of the three possible answers, only one--"she"--is a subject pronoun form.
5. My wife and I have been invited to attend a state dinner at the White House.
The missing word is the subject of the verb "have been invited." As a subject, it must take the subject form "I." "Myself" is a reflexive pronoun. It cannot stand as a subject.