Subject-Verb Agreement Exercise (335)
Choose the form of the verb that agrees with the subject of each sentence.
Answers and Explanations
1. Ham and eggs is rarely my choice for breakfast.
A plural subject that functions as a single unit takes a singular verb. Another example is "spaghetti and meatballs."
2. In my hometown there are two rundown office buildings, both owned by a greedy, civically irresponsible family.
In this sentence the plural subject, "office buildings," follows the verb.
3. The farmer discovered that a large percentage of his crop was ruined by boll weevils.
The word percentage is singular and takes the singular verb was.
4. Badly informed parents are refusing to have their children vaccinated. As a result, measles is making a comeback.
The name of a disease that ends in -s is still singular and takes a singular verb. Another example is mumps.
5. I think the United States should change its method of electing government officials like senators, representatives, and the president.
Although plural in form, "United States" takes a singular verb.