Accept and Except Exercise (322)
Replace the blank with either accept or except, whichever best suits the context.
Answers and Explanations
1. The surly band member claimed that everybody was out of step except him.
In this sentence, except is a preposition meaning "with the exception of" or "excluding."
2. The woman who had been burglarized refused to accept restitution from the thief’s elderly grandparents.
In this sentence, accept is a verb meaning "to take."
3. Afterwards, the student asked the professor to accept her apologies for being inattentive.
In this sentence, accept is a verb meaning "to receive willingly."
4. Her handbag contains everything except the kitchen sink.
In this sentence, except is a preposition meaning "excluding."
5. The committee voted to except the candidate from the requirement to live on campus.
In this sentence except is a verb meaning, "to exclude or "leave out."