Prepositions Exercise (316)
Choose the preposition of time that best completes the blank in the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. In the desert it gets cold at night.
At is used for specific times: "at 2:30 p.m.," "at Christmas," "at lunch time." In must be followed by an article: "in the morning," "in a minute."
2. The chief said he wanted to sleep for an hour before launching the attack.
For is used to show an amount of time.
3. Is the art store open on Sunday?
On is used with days. In American English, on is used before weekend: "Let’s go to Tulsa on the weekend." In British English, weekend is preceded by at: "Let’s go to Brighton at the weekend."
4. It’s the first time in ten years that we’ve had snow.
In is used for a period of time.
5. He always reads the paper the first thing in the morning.
In is used with morning, afternoon, and evening: "in the afternoon," "in the evening."