Capitalization in Titles Exercise (312)
Choose the correct format for the titles in boldface.
Answers and Explanations
1. Tennyson wrote the charge of the light brigade six weeks after 110 British troops were killed in a mismanaged military maneuver in the Crimea.
Correct: "The Charge of the Light Brigade"
Articles (a, an and the) are capitalized when they begin the title. Titles of poems are enclosed in quotation marks.
2. Longfellow’s poem the midnight ride of paul revere used to be memorized by every American school child.
Correct: "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere"
Prepositions are not capitalized unless they are the first word in a title.
3. Most high school anthologies include Frost’s stopping by woods on a snowy evening.
Correct: "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening."
Articles and prepositions that are not the first word in a title are not capitalized.
4. In the episode home is where the heart stops, Rick Castle and Kate Beckett investigate a series of jewel robberies.
Correct: "Home Is Where the Heart Stops"
Titles of episodes in a television series are enclosed in quotation marks.
5. Tears for Fears’s everybody wants to rule the world is listed as one of the best 100 songs of the 20th century.
Correct: "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"
The particle to in an infinitive is not capitalized. Song titles are enclosed in quotation marks.