Spelling Test Exercise (307)
A word is misspelled in each of the following sentences. Provide the proper spelling for the misspelled word in each one.
Answers and Explanations
1. Modern speakers may not know that the idiom "the three Rs" refers to the most important and elementary academic subjects that the public school curriculum was designed to teach: Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic.
2. One of the most prestigious academic positions in the world is the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge, England. Established in 1663, it has been held by Sir Isaac Newton and Stephen Hawking.
3. Although technology has brought amazing and useful innovation in the area of writing, some academic skills are best taught via low-tech methods of pedagogy.
4. Women have fewer cognitive disorders than men do because their bodies are better at ignoring the mutations which cause them.
5. Consumers and voters are often presented with false dichotomies of choice, neither of which is desirable or even beneficial in human terms.