Confused Words Exercise (304)
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
Answers and Explanations
1. The counsel for the defense concealed certain pertinent information from the state prosecutor.
counsel: a lawyer engaged in the trial or management of a case in court.
council: a group elected or appointed as an advisory or legislative body.
2. Although he fought on the side of the Germans in North Africa, Erwin Rommel was admired by the British, who referred to him as "The Desert Fox"
Desert: arid land with usually sparse vegetation.
Dessert: a usually sweet course or dish (as of pastry or ice cream) usually served at the end of a meal.
3. More and more, modern warfare with pitched battles between national armies is changing because of the prevalence of guerilla warfare carried on by splinter groups within countries.
gorilla: a very large anthropoid ape.
guerilla: a person who engages in irregular warfare, especially as a member of an independent unit carrying out harassment and sabotage.
4. His father taught his sons to follow the "straight and narrow."
straight: free from curves, bends, angles, or irregularities.
strait: a comparatively narrow passageway connecting two large bodies of water.
5. The prisoner refused to talk, apparently not caring whether he was starved or beaten.
whether: a conjunction introducing a direct alternative question.
wether: a castrated ram.