Present Participles Exercise (300)
Without a helping verb, it functions as an adjective. Decide if the -ing words in the following sentences are functioning as adjectives or as verbs.
Answers and Explanations
Sometimes the -ing word seems to be functioning as an adverb, but try moving it around in the sentence and you'll find that it is modifying a noun or a pronoun and not a verb.
1. He wasted five hours playing computer games.
Adjective modifying "He."
2. We’re expecting our daughter to call from San Francisco.
Verb, part of "are expecting."
3. The Chief, nodding toward the country club just across the road, said, "That place is lively tonight."
Adjective modifying "The Chief."
4. A neighbor saw him leaving his apartment.
Adjective modifying "him."
5. Gathering the music, the band leader hummed the last piece they’d played.
Adjective modifying "the band leader."