Confused Words Exercise (291)
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
Answers and Explanations
1. Patrick Dennis wrote about his barmy Aunt Marion and called the book Auntie Mame.
balmy: pleasantly warm.
barmy: foolish, crazy, flighty, eccentric.
2. Small children love to pound out noisy chords on the piano.
cord: a length of string.
chord: a group of musical notes.
3. The CEO says that the new fence will envelop the administration building and the labs.
envelop (verb): to cover or surround.
envelope (noun): a paper container for a letter.
4. Father plans to fasten the swing to strongest bough of the oak tree.
bow (rhymes with cow): as a verb, to bend the head; as a noun, the front of a ship.
bough (also rhymes with cow): the branch of a tree.
5. I can never remember how alternating current differs from direct.
currant: a dried grape.
current: a flow of water, air, or electricity. As an adjective, current means, "happening now."