Spelling Test Exercise (289)
A word is misspelled in each of the following sentences. Provide the proper spelling for the misspelled word in each one.
Answers and Explanations
1. The residents of Grover’s Corners delight in amateur theatricals and have built a fine theater that compares to professional edifices in larger cities.
2. Many a worthwhile philanthropic enterprise has failed, not for lack of funding or facilities, but because of lack of committed workers willing to dedicate themselves to the task.
3. Only those children who have been inoculated against mumps, measles, scarlet fever, and smallpox will be allowed to attend the new school that has been established for the study of language and literature.
4. Some judges believe that offenders who are publicly humiliated by being forced to stand on a corner with a sign enumerating their offenses will be less likely to reoffend.
5. The Latin phrase "horror vacui" is usually translated into English as, "Nature abhors a vacuum." The postulate is attributed to Aristotle.