Pronouns Exercise (288)
Choose the pronoun form that fits the blank in each of the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. Gladys Baxter is in Ottawa this week. Three of our best teachers–Miss Singh, Mr. Washington, and she–are attending a workshop on teaching literature to young children.
She is in apposition to "Three of our best teachers" which is the subject of "are attending. The subject form is required.
2. We Jeopardy fans gathered at my house to watch the match between Ken Jennings and the computer.
We is the subject of gathered, so the subject form is called for.
3. Grandpa volunteers with Little League. This dugout was constructed by Charlie, Al, and him.
Him is one of the objects of the preposition by, so the object form is called for.
4. There goes Finn. I like Hamed and Finn equally well, but Gayle likes Hamed better than him.
Gayle likes Hamed better than she likes Finn; him is the object of the understood verb likes.
5. Sometimes the grounds keeper shouts at all us dog owners when we venture onto the golf course during our walk.
Us is the object of the preposition at, so it takes the object form.