Punctuation Exercise (280)
Choose the correctly punctuated sentence or item in each pair.
Answers and Explanations
1. The fund-raising event was held in Washington D.C.
Even though the abbreviation comes at the end of the sentence, only one period is ever needed at the end of a sentence.
2. We have plenty of fruit (apples, oranges, etc.).
An abbreviation inside parentheses requires a period.
3. I never miss the scintillating articles about language at www.dailywritingtips.com.
When I was new to URL notation, I often failed to reach my Web destination because I mistakenly included a period at the end of the URL. In time I learned that the period is not part of the address. Every Web user must eventually come to this realization because every sentence needs a period (or other end punctuation). Sentences that end with a URL are no exception.
4. Lewis, C. S. The Allegory of Love. Oxford: Galaxy, 1958.
When the author’s name in a bibliography entry ends with an initial, one period is sufficient.
5. What does Wordsworth mean when he says, "The father is child of the man"?
The quoted sentence is not a question, so the question mark that ends the sentence goes outside the quotation marks.