Synonyms Exercise (270)
Choose the answer that best provides an alternate word or phrase for the word in boldface.
Answers and Explanations
1. The addition of two more security guards will deter crime at the new stadium.
prevent: to stop something from happening
provoke: to bring about, cause to happen
2. After twenty days of continual rain, the seawall began to disintegrate.
crumble: to fall into pieces
accumulate: to gather
3. Because of the lack of behavioral standards in the schools, many children grow up unable to distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior.
discriminate: to differentiate between two or more things
appreciate: to increase in value
4. The famous athlete, who was used to universal admiration, was startled when the young woman looked at him with unmistakable disdain in her expression.
veneration: deep respect
5. Now that just about anyone can be an independent publisher, a great many books of dubious accuracy are flooding the market.
questionable: uncertain or doubtful
remarkable: deserving notice