Indirect Objects Exercise (269)
Identify the indirect objects in the following sentences.
Answers and Explanations
1. He’s so rude that he wouldn’t hand me the hammer when it was lying right next to him.
Me is the indirect object: "wouldn’t hand [to] me"
2. The injured player passed the quarterback the ball before falling to the ground.
Quarterback is the indirect object: "passed [to] the quarterback"
3. Richard Widmark once played a creepy character who said to another character, "I wouldn’t peel you a grape."
You is the indirect object: "wouldn’t peel [for] you"
4. If you get to the auditorium before I do, please save me a seat.
Me is the indirect object: "save [for] me"
5. Why can’t television characters do someone a good turn without following it by saying, "You owe me one"?
Me is the indirect object: "owe [to] me"