Confused Words Exercise (255)
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
Answers and Explanations
1. The ingenuous youngster was shocked by the lascivious behavior of his friends when the chaperones were not with them.
ingenious: very clever or inventive
ingenuous: innocent, lacking in guile
2. When the professor is displeased with an assistant’s work, he relegates him to the basement lab.
delegate: to entrust a person with a task
relegate: to exile or put out of sight
3. Although only eight years old, Carys shows with her use of color and form that she has a highly developed aesthetic sense.
ascetic: extremely strict in religious observance or self-denial
aesthetic: responsive to beauty
4. When his surreptitious take-over of the company came to light, everyone wondered why he hadn’t acted openly.
5. Although it was supposed to be a secret, the little girl begged so piteously for a peek that at last the butler opened the parcel.
peek: a brief look
peak: a projecting point