Idioms with Get Exercise (216)
The verb get occurs in many English idioms. Choose the answer that best restates the words in boldface type.
Answers and Explanations
1. I’ve read his letter three times, but still can’t tell what he’s trying to get at.
2. As a spoiled child, he always got away with things.
Correct: escaped punishment
3. Mr. Jones lost his job, but Mrs. Jones says they’ll get by.
Correct: manage financially
4. I don’t know how this family can get through so many garbage bags every month.
Correct: use up
5. The chaperone’s job is to see that the children don’t get up to anything.
Correct: do things they shouldn’t