Spelling Test Exercise (181)
A word is misspelled in each of the following sentences. Provide the proper spelling for the misspelled word in each one.
Answers and Explanations
1. The Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama, First Count of Vidigueira, was the first European to reach India by sea.
2. The legendary El Cid, a Castilian nobleman and military leader in medieval Spain, took possession of land in Andalusia.
3. National Socialist propaganda provided a crucial instrument for acquiring and maintaining power, and for the implementation of their policies.
4. The witches in Macbeth are called the weird sisters, not because they look strange, but because they represent Fate; the Old English word for fate was wyrd.
5. The Siege of Orleans by the English under the command of the Earl of Suffolk was lifted by Joan of Arc with the help of both the French army and the citizens of Orleans; on May 8, 1429, the defeated English marched away.