Confused Words Exercise (179)
In each sentence, choose the correct word from the pair of similar terms. (If both words possibly can be correct, choose the more plausible one.)
Answers and Explanations
1. After being stung by wasps, the child had red welts all over his body.
A welt is a raised place on the skin. A whelp is the young of a dog.
2. The pharmaceutical representative was known for her hard sell techniques.
Hard sell means aggressive salesmanship or advertising. A hard sale could be either a sales transaction difficult to complete, or a customer who is difficult to persuade to buy
3. You can go to Chicago with us, as long as you pay your own fare.
A fare is the cost of conveyance or transportation of a passenger. A fair is a periodical gathering for the buying and selling of goods.
4. The old casino was razed to make room for a new one.
In speaking of a building, to raise means to construct. To raze a building means to tear down, demolish, or level it.
5. The historian compared the regime of George Washington with that of Herbert Hoover.
A regime is a method or system of rule, governance, or control. Any period of governing by a particular person or body can be called a regime. A reign is the period of rule of a monarch. Reign is appropriate in describing the rule of a monarch such as a king, queen, or emperor.