As a prefix, super- originates from the Latin super, an adverb and preposition meaning above, on top of, beyond, beside. That’s the original meaning of the English prefix, too, though according to the Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology, it has taken on other senses over the centuries. These include:
- Higher in rank, quality or degree (example: superstructure)
- In the highest, or to a high degree, in excess ( example: superabundance)
- Expressing addition (example: supertax)
Here are some super words which have the same root:
- Superb – excellent
- Supercilious – proud, arrogant (from the Latin for above the eyelid)
- Supercomputer – extra powerful and quick computer
- Superfine – extremely refined, over refined
- Superintendent – director or manager of an organisation
- Superior – greater in number or quality
- Superlative – of outstanding quality
- Superman (originating with Nietzsche rather than Clark Kent’s alter ego)
- Supermodel – an exceptionally successful catwalk model
- Supernatural – inexplicable through natural laws; miraculous
- Superscribe – to write above
- Supersede – to supplant or replace
- Supervise – to direct or oversee
There are dozens of others. Why not add yours in the comments or in the forum?
Subscribe to Receive our Articles and Exercises via Email
- You will improve your English in only 5 minutes per day, guaranteed!
- Subscribers get access to our exercise archives, writing courses, writing jobs and much more!
- You'll also get three bonus ebooks completely free!
13 Responses to “Super Words”
Here are a few more:
Thanks for your tips!
Sharon Hurley Hall
Thanks for the additions, Roshawn.
Thanks alot its agreat site
Just thought I’d put one in there, hehehe.
thankyou for helping me do my homework lol
Same here, but here are some new ones for ya!
Supersubtle- overly subtle, insignificant
I appreciate the webmaster and his website for being the most useful and educational website for all students. espically i myself solved my several problems through this website .
once again i am thanking the webmaster and his educational website thank you for being in help with students.
sakhi “sarwari” from kabul, Afghanistan.
I am studying prefixes, suffixes, and roots. Thanks a million.
I lik it