+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody had luck writing greeting cards?

Default Anybody had luck writing greeting cards?

I wrote and submitted a couple of batches many years ago and never got a response. Thinking about trying again with some smaller companies.

Has anyone had any luck? Advice?

Have a good evening,
    SheilaE

Being as I work as a designer in addition to being a writer, I've had occasions where people have asked me to do that for a living. But without wishing to sound too snobbish, it's often regarded, perhaps somewhat unfairly, as the bottom of the pile with regard to writing jobs; a bit like wedding photography in comparison to pother kinds of photographic jobs, so I've always said no.

Like a lot of writing jobs, it's also not very well paid either, which doesn't help, but, on the plus side, it is an inroad to a writing job, so it's not all bad news. With that in mind, if you have a desire to do such a job, it might be worth getting up to speed with DTP applications, such as Quark and InDesign, since you would then be suitably armed to apply for jobs where the setting could also be something you could do. Another string to your bow, if you like, which would be a major plus where smaller companies are concerned.

Al

Default Anybody had luck writing greeting cards

I got this book from the library 2 years ago called So You Wanna Be A Writer. I forget who it was by but it was pretty good. IT had all these tips and had writing exercises.

+ Reply to Thread